The 2017 National Public Speaking Final was held on Sunday 10 September at the Manchester Conference Centre, Sackville Street, Manchester M1 3BB.
Public Speaking Competitions
Competitions are organised in all areas of the UK by local Catenians and Schools and Colleges are contacted directly with details of how to participate. The winners of these Regional Competitions are invited to the National Final held in Manchester.
Comments made about the National Competition are below:
Comments from Students
- Everyone was very kind and welcoming. It was well organised and a great experience.
- The organisation, venue and the categories were good.
- Thanks for the great opportunity.
- I was overwhelmed by how friendly and supportive everybody was.
- I relished the opportunity to listen to the speeches of many others.
- It is a day I will look fondly on for years to come.
Comments from Parents:
- My first time attending and I have been blown away with the standard and quality of the young people.
- Fantastic performances of a very high standard - Great opportunity for the youngsters.
- Great opportunity for young Catholics to get great experience.
- Fantastic to see young people shine. Great opportunity for Catholic youths to get together.
- Superb opportunity and challenge for the contestants.
- Feedback from adjudicators very helpful, encouraging but also honest and clear.
Comment from a tutor
- Thank you for the opportunities you provide for so many students. It's amazing how many go on to excellent careers. partly because they develop the confidence and skills that come from public speaking. May you continue such excellent work!
Picture of all contestants, adjudicators and NP.
The 2017 contestants with the adjudicators (back row from the middle to the right) Rt Rev John Arnold, Bishop of Salford, Wendy Sutcliffe, Prof. Lord David Alton and National President of The Catenian Association Peter Rogers.
Picture of winners
From left to right: 2nd Peter Savery, St. Bede’s College, Bristol, 1st Miriam Isaacs, Princethorpe College, Rugby, 3rd Daniel Clark, St. Mary’s HS, Chesterfield.
The 2018 Final will again be held in Manchester on Sunday 9 September at the Manchester Conference Centre, Sackville Street, Manchester M1 3BB starting at 1.30pm.
There is parking nearby, on Charles Street, just off Sackville Street, the charge is £2 for the day. The Centre is approx. a 15 minute walk from Piccadilly train station.
Contact Phil Brown the National Coordinator for further details: Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: 0161 747 9332